Tips & Tricks for Staying Hydrated While Playing Pickleball
DINK, DINK, DRINK!
Contrary to popular hearsay, pickleball is an active and physically taxing activity. Although it’s played on a court that looks small when compared to tennis, pickleball is very fast-paced and keeps players moving constantly. As a result, pickleballers burn a lot of calories. The average person burns 500 to 700 calories per hour playing pickleball and the average hitting session is 90 to 150 minutes. This means that most people will burn 750 to 1,750 calories while playing pickleball. As we expend energy and nutrients, our bodies sweat, and we begin to lose essential fluids.
With this in mind, it’s important to stay hydrated during play. Losing as little as two percent of your body’s water volume can significantly impair your physical performance. You may also become dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous if you don’t replenish the liquids that you are losing during play. Dehydration also leads to cramping and injuries. Simply put, you won’t play at the top of your game if you don’t stay hydrated! Position yourself for success by carrying enough water to keep you dinking and driving all day long!
Takeya’s 7 tips for Pickleball Hydration
- Before Play: Just as you need to warm up before you begin play, you also need to hydrate. Drink 17 to 20 ounces of water 2 to 3 hours before you start exercising to see improved performance.
- During Warmup: Drink another 8 ounces of water during your warmup before you begin play. Try to sip every time you visit the sidelines and don’t forget that there are unlimited hydration breaks in pickleball!
- During Games: It’s critical to stay hydrated during games. Drink 7 to 10 ounces of water between games (every 10 to 20 minutes). Dink, Dink, Drink!
- After Play: To help your body cool down and aid its recovery, drink another 8 ounces of water no more than 30 minutes after you finish playing. Add up to another 20 ounces over the next two hours to avoid fatigue and cramps.
- Add Organic Electrolytes: Lemons are a great and all-natural source of electrolytes. They’re also a good source of potassium, calcium, and magnesium, all of which are essential minerals for physical performance. Squeeze a whole lemon into your water bottle to start the day, but refrain from tossing the peel in as well, since it can retain pesticides.
- Keep Your Takeya Full! Make sure you keep your Takeya water bottle handy and drink from it whenever you feel thirsty. Fill it with ice to keep your water cold, no matter how long you play. If you weren’t drinking enough water during your pickleball sessions in the past, you’ll be amazed at how much better you’ll feel with just this simple change in your routine.
- After Pickleball, Weigh Yourself: A 1-3% loss in body weight indicates that you are dehydrated. For every pound lost, drink 20-24 oz of water or sports drinks. Replace these fluid losses within two hours.
What Size Water Bottle Do You Need?
During Covid19, it’s critical to plan your hydration strategy. Immunity relies on a highly-functional, hydrated body and frequent sipping helps flush unwanted bacteria through your body more quickly. Water fountains are generally not available at clubs, parks, and other venues during this time to prevent the transmission of bacteria. Since you can’t count on venue-supplied water, you should opt for the largest bottle you can comfortably lift. We recommend a 40oz or 64oz bottle for optimum hydration during pickleball play.
Takeya Water Bottles are Designed For Pickleball
- Secure Leak-Proof Lid — No more spills in your pickleball bag
- Keeps Your Drink Cold for 24 Hours — You drink 30% more water when it’s cold
- Powder-Coated for Secure Gripping — Even when hands are sweaty
- Lids Fit All Sizes of Takeya Bottles — from 4oz kids’ bottles to 64oz Growlers
- Easy Carry Loop Handle — for all day carrying comfort
- Removable, Protective Silicone Bumper — cancels noise and protects your bottle
- Large Size Water Bottles — Stays filled longer and keeps hydration at hand
- Easily Washable Lids — Simply throw them in the top rack of your dishwasher for quick and safe cleaning.
- Lifetime Warranty: Awesome. Guaranteed.
Visit Takeya to learn more about their bottles, hydration, and more!