OVERALL TOP 5:
- They’re BAAAAAACK: Anna Leigh Waters and Ben Johns are registered for all 3 events and Tyson McGuffin returns from injury.
- Sunny F-L-A: Temperatures are expected to hit close to 80 degrees – who can take advantage of the more humid conditions on the east coast and show the fitness required to medal?
- Spring Breaking: Not playing this week: Matt Wright, Callan Dawson, Lucy Kovalova, Callie Smith
- Bonjour: Parris Todd makes her PPA debut in 2023, paired with Riley Newman and Anna Bright.
- He’s a Big Dyl: Dylan Frazier grabbed his first PPA gold medal in Minnesota with his partner JW Johnson – can he get back to Championship Sunday again this week?
- First PPA tourney at Pictona in Holly Hill, Florida, just outside of Daytona Beach.
- Largest PPA Tour event so far in 2023: 1189 players.
- Largest number of pro entries with 215 playing the event
- The players will be back to Pictona for Event 2 of MLP from March 23-26 after a jump over to the PPA Austin Open event in-between.
- 3 different winners in 4 events this year to date: Ben Johns (2x), Federico Staksrud, and James Ignatowich. Things are getting interesting.
- 80 players are entered in men’s pro singles, making it the largest ever in PPA history. Will an underdog make a big splash?
- Federico Staksrud looking to make it back to Sunday after losing a classic battle to JW Johnson in Minnesota.
- WATCH OUT FOR: Tyson McGuffin…after the layoff with the minor foot injury, he will be motivated.
- Anna Leigh Waters looks to continue her singles rampage, having won 10 events in a row (of those she has entered). She has not lost since last June to Parris Todd, who…wait for it…is not playing singles.
- In the last 9 tournaments, only 4 ladies have medaled: Anna Leigh Waters, Catherine Parenteau, Lea Jansen, and Salome Devidze.
- WATCH OUT FOR: The Field? Can anyone break through these 4 ladies and hit the podium?
- Ben Johns and Anna Leigh Waters lost their last mixed match to the Johnsons, who are partnered up again for this event – expect them to be laser-focused as they take to the court looking for revenge.
- Anna Bright and James Ignatowich are on the same side of the net this time after the off-court couple played against each other in Minnesota, with Ignatowich/Parenteau taking down Bright/Newman in their semifinal.
- WATCH OUT FOR: Riley Newman and Parris Todd. So much talent. How will this partnership gel?
- Catherine Parenteau, coming off a double gold medal performance in Minnesota, will play women’s doubles with Anna Leigh Waters. They are 12-0 as a team.
- Can Lea Jansen and Allyce Jones keep their stellar start to 2023 going? They’ve already earned themselves two silvers and a bronze so far this year.
- WATCH OUT FOR: Jessie Irvine and Jorja Johnson – how will the MLP partners play in their first PPA tournament together?
- Ben and Collin Johns are 3 for 3 in ’23 and have won the four straight tournaments that they have entered into as partners.
- Riley Newman is playing with his MLP owner, Tim Parks, with Matt Wright sitting this one out.
- WATCH OUT FOR: The fiery team of Thomas Wilson and Julian Arnold – can they hit the podium for the first time in 2023?
Dave, great content and stellar comme tary, best in the business IMHO.
How about posting the brackets on the front page so we know who and when the pros are playing.
Hey, Bug! We do post the brackets on the front page of ppatour.com during a tournament. 😁