OVERALL TOP 5:
- PACKED HOUSE: Ben Johns, Collin Johns, and Anna Leigh Waters are all in the draw for the first time since Austin in March.
- PRIME VIEWING: Center Court will be streamed exclusively on Prime Video, part of a 4 tournament World Championship Series. Grandstand Court will be shown on the PPA YouTube Channel as usual.
- LARGEST TOURNAMENT IN PPA HISTORY: Over 1,400 players in Atlanta
- FIRST MEDAL 2.0?: Staksrud, Ignatowich, Hewett (singles) and Bright (for women’s doubles) won their first PPA medal in these events last year.
- SHICK EFFECT?: Over 90 entries in pro men’s singles, the largest ever.
- Defending medalists: Federico Staksrud, Rafa Hewett, James Ignatowich. Massive field: over 90 players entered. Qualies on Wednesday.
- Fed vs. Rafa 2.0? Opposite sides of the draw in ’23.
- WATCH OUT FOR: JW Johnson – will he make a run in singles after several consecutive strong doubles tournaments?
- Defending medalists: Anna Leigh Waters, Catherine Parenteau, Lea Jansen
- CP is on the same side of the draw as AL, so they cannot play each other in a finals rematch
- Lacy Schneemann makes just her 2nd singles appearance of the year on the PPA Tour.
- WATCH OUT FOR: The field – is this the week that someone other than Waters, Parenteau, Jansen, and Devidze medal? A bronze from Allyce Jones in Austin has been the only outlier.
- Defending medalists: Parenteau/Newman, Kovalova/Wright, Jardim/JW Johnson
- Riley Newman pairs with Parris Todd for the second time (first of this year was Florida Open)
- Fudge/Bar 2.0. Had a good first run – tough draw in this one.
- WATCH OUT FOR: Vivienne David/Thomas Wilson – Wilson returns from injury, but also with the glad news that he and wife Brittany will be adopting a baby girl this year. How will he fare?
- Defending medalists: Kovalova/Smith, Waters/Waters, Irvine/Bright
- AL Waters is undefeated in women’s doubles in ’23 and is paired with Anna Bright.
- Catherine Parenteau is with Parris Todd for the first time yet in a tourney.
- WATCH OUT FOR: Jessie Irvine and Lea Jansen, also pairing up for the first time.
- Defending medalists: Newman/Wright, Johns/Johns, Bar/JW Johnson
- Johns brothers lost to Newell/Locklear in their last match together back in Newport Beach – expect to see a highly motivated duo in Atlanta this week.
- Can Newman/Wright defend their title and make it 2 titles in a row in 2023?
- WATCH OUT FOR: Team Tall – Devilliers and Daescu teaming up.